Cameos and Crowns - Princess Victoria's Royal Wedding

The trad in me loves to see royal tradition at its best, especially in the ceremonious elegance of Crown Princess Victoria's wedding to commoner Daniel Westling.  Certainly it was a fairy tale wedding, she a Crown Princess from the venerable Swedish royal family and he a fitness trainer with finesse.  After eight years together it appears to be a love match.
Helena Halme and the Preppy Princess have covered the big event in their blogs.

As expected it was a great gathering of royals in full regalia, including sashes and stomacher brooches not to mention some tremendous tiaras. Here we have Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine of Sweden.

And here we have Princess Mathilda of Belgium and Princess Letizia of Spain.


The glowing bride wore an extraordinary antique crown of Neo-Classical cameos with an interesting provenance
Once owned by Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, it came to the Swedish royal family when Josephine’s granddaughter Josefina married the future King Oscar I in 1823. The pearl-covered diadem, heightened by seven cameos depicting mythological figures, has become traditional bridal headgear in the House of Bernadotte. Victoria’s mother, Queen Silvia, wore it on her own wedding day on June 19, 1976.”
Note her cameo earrings too.
I've seen cameos used in antique necklaces, earrings, rings and brooches but never before in a tiara. 


Like me you probably aren't particularly impressed with the type of cameo jewelry that shows a female silhouette.  What does impress me  is a cameo with a Neo-Classical or historical motif like this antique Victorian Bacchante Cameo Brooch . Not only is it lovely with highly detailed carving, I love the theme because liking good wine, I'm a bit of a bacchante myself.

And, since it is highly unlikely that I will ever have the need to sport a cameo crown, I prefer something more wearable such as this antique Victorian Dionysus Cameo Pendant, another interesting piece for oenophiles.

Have a great weekend everyone and I hope that you get to enjoy spending time with your fathers for Father's Day.