Lotus Shield by Avon

(Lotus Shield, $9.99 *sale Avon.com)


I'm always on the hunt for a great anti-frizz product. Even when I don't wear my hair super sleek and straight that doesn't mean I'm not still trying to ward off frizz. Since my hair is tex-laxed instead of relaxed bone straight any hint of moisture in the air and my hair is dying to curl/wavy/crinkly itself up. With the super rainy weather we've been having in the tri-state area, I knew it would be a perfect time to try out Advance Techniques Lotus Shield, Avon's first anti-frizz product.

Advance Techniques Lotus Shield is inspired by the lotus leaf plant, which has an extremely high water repellancy. Not to get all technical on you guys but the term is superhydrophobicity, which is also seen on the wings of insects but I guess the Lotus plant is more elegant. Anywho, Lotus Shield adds a "waterproof" layer to the hair, actually repelling moisture, and Avon claims it performs in upwards to 97% humidity. Tippi Shorter, Avon Global Stylist Advisor says, "I have tried Lotus Shield on myself. I used it before traveling and my hair stayed straight and smooth through 4 flights and 3 countries – all in 2 days. I really like it a lot, not to mention it smells good.”

Unlike Tippi, I wasn't jet-setting and dashing between countries, instead I was just trying to enjoy a nice night on the town with my boyfriend complete with a romantic dinner at Mr. Chow's in Tribeca but the rain was plotting to turn my simple yet pretty down do featuring a side braid and low bun into a hot frizzy mess with a low bun. Luckily, Lotus Shield performed, it minimized (actually eliminated) frizz and put a stop to those pesky fly-a-aways (that are really my 'new' bangs that don't make it all the way back into my low buns). I was completely satisfied with this product and I plan to keep on using it and yup, it does have a nice scent to it.