Lifestyle Leak: Coney Island


Last weekend, I headed to Coney Island, NY with my boyfriend.  I had never been before and he really couldn't remember the last time he had been there, which was probably as a child.  Not being one for ride and things, I went because I wanted to see the nostalgia that surrounds Coney Island before the multi-million dollar renovations take place.  Plus, since it's the home of the original Nathan's and me being the hot dog lover that I am, I willingly and a tad bit excitedly made the trip.   



Before I go any further I guess I should let you know that I'm a Jersey girl at heart and I absolutely adore the Jersey Shore.  No I'm talking about the fist pumping, long island invasion of the Jersey shore, but the shore during the day.  Tons of people laying on the beach, loads of fun on the boardwalk, great slices of pizza, sausage and peppers, and a bunch of other seaside delights including my absolute favorite Vanilla custard on a waffle cone with rainbow sprinkles!  Now I guess with all that said I had my ideas of what Coney Island would be like.  I was thinking it would be similar to my first love, the Jersey shore.  Boy was I wrong. 



Once we hit the exit and began seeing signs for Coney Island I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore if you know what I mean.  I was glad I'd made the trip with my (strong and willing to fight at the drop of a dime if something goes down) boyfriend instead of my bubbly girlfriends.  The area was super sketchy and I felt like I needed protection.  Coney Island seemed to only be two small areas of boardwalk and a few ride snatched from a county fair.  The famous Cyclone and Wonder wheel?  Well I'm sure I saw them at the Meadowlands Fair last year, they totally looked like movable fair rides, I couldn't believe it.  Coney Island is much in need of the multi-million dollar renovations, but I won't give up on it yet.  I'll be sure to return once it's all finished to see if it's been restored to it's "original wonder".  

Do you have a Coney Island experience?  Share it in the comments.