Provident living

So I had one of those mornings.  Where the sun was shining and the little mister smith was smiling.  We went for a jog- which I haven't done in FOREVER!  And I was feeling good, with all those endorphins- you know!  When I jog Boston totally sings to himself- cutest thing EVER!  Anyway, after I was finished my run he was still happy as could be so I just started waking.  And while I was walking I listened to the most marvelous talk about provident living.




My generation has a very... selfish I want it now and I deserve it attitude.  It's totally true.  Myself included.  I deserve a nice big house because I'm a good person.  I want that shirt because it's on sale.  I want to sleep in and it's Brian's turn to take Boston so I am going to.  I weasel my way out of doing so many things because I can.  I totally take advantage of my sweet and giving husband.  Not because I'm trying to be mean... he's just so nice!  And in the mornings I am just SO tired!




So what is provident living and why is it important to me?  Provident living is "Joyfully living within our means, being content with what we have, avoiding excessive debt, and diligently saving and preparing for rainy-day emergencies.  When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior's example to serve and bless others." - Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Talk found here.

Entitlement.  I deserve it.  That attitude leads to debt, diminished self-worth and will eventually affect family relationships.

Brian and I have the awesome opportunity to live with my parents.  Yes, it's an opportunity.  Best darn people in the whole wide world and they get to help me raise my little boy!  Each morning Boston crawls up the stairs pointing and saying "Pop Pop"!




We are able to save a lot of Brian's income.  Thank you parents!  But because we have no debt and a lot of savings we think we're super rich and deserve whatever we want.  Even though we're totally not at all.  But it's surprising how quickly little things tend to add up.

What I'm saying is we're getting into some bad habits!  And it's time to nix them.  Because we are not rich.  And even if we were, I don't need new shoes.  And Boston doesn't need new toys.  Brian could use some new jeans come to think of it... ha ha!  But one day, when we DO need those things I will really wish I hadn't wasted our money on things I didn't REALLY need or want... ya know?!

So this is our plan.

Ever heard of the envelope savings plan?  We've done it before.  It totally sucks.  But it's so AWESOME!  And you will DIE at how much money you actually save.  Stupid credit cards.  They make things so easy.  But with cash, ew that's MY money!  I don't want to spend it on THAT!

But I usually need a project or something to get me excited about certain things!  Just Imagine Heaven has come up with just that project!  Are these not the cutest fabric envelopes?




Sit down with your lover.  Come up with a budget.  Get the money out of your checking account.  It might take awhile to be able to pull such a large sum of money out of your checking account.  It's not like credit where you pay it off a month later.  You need the money before you even spend it!  But divide your budget money up and put it in these awesome little envelopes.  Just try it.  You will be so surprised at how much you can save and you will feel so awesome about yourself.

Just remember.  When we live the way we can afford, life is better.  You might not have everything that you want.  But you have what you need.  You have more time and energy to spend with those you love.  And most importantly, you'll have time to serve those around you!

Photobucket